I gave you a nice, scientific, survey driven Top 8 list for local races in my last post. So now for the completely biased, non-scientific Top 8 PR races! Why 8? Because I feel like that’s a good number! No logic or science involved! If you want to run your fastest race at a given distance, check out one of these options. Some are local, some are not but they are all FAST.
I included a little information about each event and what my results were at each one to give you an idea of why I think the races are a good opportunity for you to run your best race there too. What races should I have on the list? Tell us! Add your favorite fast races in the comments. I’d love to hear about other fast events.
- Race the Tortoise- O’Leno State Park, High Springs, FL.
- March 1st 2014
- Flat, Fast, paved, out and back course. Typically cool weather.
- Missed my 5K Masters PR by 2 seconds there last year!
- Ran in Saucony Type A5
2. Run for the Pies- Jacksonville Landing
- June 14th 2014
- Flat, lots of competition. It will be warm but the flat course, speedy runners to race with and beer at the end of the race motivating you to bring it in fast compensate.
- Ran 16:38 Masters PR there in 2012
- Ran in Saucony Type A5 this year. Ran in Brooks T7 last year.
- Charles Harris Run for Lukemia- Tucker GA
- February 22nd, 2014
- Point to point 10K – NET DOWNHILL!!!! Yes, there is more down than up and you will haul butt!
- Masters PR of 33:44 in 2013
- You guessed it. Saucony A5s
2. Crescent City Classic 10K, New Orleans, LA
- April 19th 2014
- Point to point, flat and fast. Tons of competition to push you to your limit.
- 34:14 in 2013 but it was a warm day (even for a guy from Florida!).
- Saucony A5s
- Newnan’s Lake 15K- Gainesville, FL
- January 25th 2014
- Flat, out and back course along the lake. This is a local favorite and I’ve run it many times.
- Master’s PR 52:42 in 2013. My all-time 15K PR was set on that course too! 47:52
- Saucony A5s this year. Brooks T7 last year.
[View of the Mohawk Hudson River Marathon. Fast and scenic.]
- Chicago Marathon
- October 13th 2013
- Flat, well organized, great weather and a fantastic opportunity to run with over 30,000 other marathoners
- Masters PR of 2:42:22 in 2013
- Ran in Saucony Kinvara 3
2. Mohawk Hudson River Marathon
- October 13th 2013
- Point to point, net downhill course. The course follows the river and is very scenic. Smaller race with limited entries. Known as a great one to get a Boston Qualifier.
- Ran 2:44:02 in 2011
- Saucony Kinvara 1 or 2 – Can’t remember!
Fastest Half Marathon
- Naples Daily News Half Marathon
- January 19th, 2014
- Flat, fast. Most of the “Florida’s Fastest” times for Half Marathon are run at this race. Good competition and typically good weather.
- Running it this year to get a PR!